The summer is finally starting to wind down, and you know what that means –it’s almost time for your kids to go back to school! Not only can the school season be hard on parents and kids, but it can also be hard on your plumbing. Suddenly everyone in your family wants to shower first thing in the morning, and you may even have your college kids coming home every weekend with their ever-growing piles of laundry. That is why our Belleville plumber has come up with this list of tips to help you to save water, and keep your plumbing running smoothly:
- Stagger your shower times- Make a shower schedule! This will allow you to enjoy more hot water, and no one will have to fight for the shower.
- Shower at night- Did you know that some utility companies will charge less during off-peak times? Check out your utility company’s website to see if yours does.
- Turn off the water when you are: brushing your teeth, scrubbing the dishes, washing your hands and shaving. You really only need to use water for rinsing in these activities, so if you keep the water off until you need it, you can save money.
- Wash full loads of laundry- Approximately 90% of the energy used to do laundry is from heating up the water. A full load uses a lot less water per item of clothing.
- Use cold water- Not every load of laundry requires hot or warm water. Wash as much as you can in cold water.