In last week’s blog we talked about a few easy ways to conserve water in your home and save money every single month. Today our Troy plumber will be going over more simple tips on how to save money on your water bill:
- Keep a pitcher of drinking water in the refrigerator. This way you won’t have to wait until your tap water gets cold enough to drink.
- Spread a layer of organic mulch in your garden. The mulch will help to retain moisture so that your veggies and flowers will require less watering.
- Adjust the blade of your lawn mower to around 1.5 – 2 inches. Your lawn will be healthier and you will have to water less because longer grass will help to shade the roots and retain moisture much more effectively than shorter grass.
- Watering your lawn more thoroughly and less often will encourage the roots to grow deeply, while preparing your lawn to be tolerant in a drought. You should water only about once every 3 days.
- When you are washing your hands, turn off the water while you lather rather than keeping the tap running. You can also do this while you brush your teeth or shave.
- Plant your flowers in the spring when the ground is still moist. Your plants will flourish and require much less outside watering.
- Use a rain barrel to save rain water from your gutters. You can use that water to give your indoor plants a drink.
These are just a few more of the many ways in which a slight adjustment in the way you use water can make a huge difference on your water bill. Stop wasting your money on all of that water that just goes down the drain. Use your water wisely and use your money on what you want.