You may be surprised to learn that your hot water heater can account for a large portion of your energy bill every single month. Now that the summer is here and we are already spending too much on keeping our lawns green, we are all looking for other ways to trim the budget. That is exactly why our talented Troy plumber has come up with this list of tips to make your water heater more energy efficient:
- Set your water heater to a lower temperature- By setting your temperature to around 120 degrees, you can still enjoy a nice hot shower, and you can save approximately 15% on your monthly energy bills (if it was previously set at 150 degrees). You also won’t have to worry about scalding your hands!
- Get your water heater insulated- You can get an insulating jacket installed on your water heater to reduce the heat lost in your tank by as much as a third. This will save you around 10% on your water bills.
- Insulate your water heater’s pipes- By insulating the pipes, your water heater will have to work less hard to heat the water. Doing this will cause your water heater to expend less energy, which will save you money!
- Low-flow shower heads- Did you know that approximately 25% of your water usage is due to your shower? By installing a low-flow shower head, you can reduce the amount of hot water that you need and cut your water output by two thirds.
- Keep your water heater clean- Even if you have a fancy, self-cleaning water heater, you will need to clean it every once in a while. Sediment can build up on the bottom of your water heater. That sediment will need to be emptied regularly.